Tuesday, 20 January 2009

Adventures in Podcasting

So, I've been roped in again as a guest panellist on the Litopia After Dark podcast this Friday. And the lovely Eve, the Litopia podcast officer, has talked me into appearing on a (roughly) monthly basis. I say talked, but I didn't have to think twice about the offer.

Litopia supremo and literary agent Peter Cox produces two podcasts - Litopia Daily, a Monday to Friday 15-minute fix of writing and publishing news, and the 45-minute-long, chatshow-style After Dark, which goes out live at 8.00pm (Isle of Man mean time). Peter then removes the hmms and ers, applies a bit of spit and polish, and posts them on Litopia for download.

I felt incredibly out of my depth on my first LAD appearance - the regular panellists, Donna and Dave, made it seem effortless and I just muttered away in the hope that something worthwhile escaped my lips. I can only assume it did, because Eve has asked me back on a few occasions in times of need.

It's a bizarre experience - the podcasting is done via Skype and to be sat at home with a headset on, staring at a screen, watching Peter in London and talking to the other panellists around the world (Donna's a Florida gal, who provides the essential The Write Report) is almost too much for my limted techie skills to comprehend.

If you have any kind of interest in the world of writing. books and publishing and haven't listened in yet, I urge you to give both the daily and LAD a whirl. (Not when I'm on, of course, wait until they've got someone decent...)

LAD is usually funny, often irreverent and occasionally insightful, and more often than not all three. It's humbling to be asked to appear and I'm looking forward to learning more from the masters, D&D, Litopia's answer to Eric and Ernie.

Elsewhere, work continues on edits for The Manx Giant, which is slowly but surely coming together. I've been sorting through some photographs I've taken, which I'm hoping will appear in the book, and might post a few in the coming weeks, along with a more in-depth look at the larger-than-life Arthur Caley.

Right, I'm off to bed to try and not think about the fact that Friday night's podcast will be listened to by 21,000+ people around the world...

2 comments:

Eve Harvey said...

And damn fabulous you were too John! Thank you... looking forward to the next time :):)

John Quirk said...

Eve, flattery will get you everywhere :-) Thanks for the kind words.