Monday, 18 May 2009

Big twitter, small world

So I've been doing this here twitter lark for three weeks now. I didn't have a good goddam clue what it was all about, to be honest. Seemed like a waste of time - a glorified facebook status update. But, you know, it is very intriguing.

I wouldn't say I'm addicted. Lack of time takes care of that. But it is a fascinating concept. In the first few days, I followed some friends and contacts, they followed me. All very simple. Then something weird happened. I started picking up followers from all over the place, folk I'd never met, even online. Slowly but surely I found my twittering feet.

I'm up to 38 followers (I did have 39, but one mysteriously vanished last night. I've no idea who it was, just that the number had dropped. I'm not suspecting foul play) and they're scattered around, in the UK, the US and Australia. Best of all, in the last week I've caught up with two friends who I'd not spoken to for best part of ten years, thirteen years in one case. For that reason alone, as with facebook, it's worth giving it a go.

This morning a fellow Isle of Man twitterer (hey Pippa) started her twittering with 'Hello world!'. I didn't think anything of it at first, but then what she said hit home. When I first blogged about twitter, I likened it to being on a conference call with your mates. But it's more than that. It's like having an open line to the world, or at least all those who you are linked to. And that line is constantly open, assuming you're logged in.

From a writer's perspective, it's superb - both as as a research tool, in terms of picking up the latest skeet about the world of publishing, and as a marketing tool. The former I can use 24/7, the latter as and when the opportunity arises.

So for anyone out there who's not twittering, give it a go. You might think you've got nothing to say, but once twitter has its claws into you, the words will come. Trust me.

Right, back to the 'to do' list. Christ, I've barely scratched the surface. Ah, well. Onwards and upwards.

2 comments:

Carol Anne Strange said...

I look forward to following your blog, John. I still can't believe it's 13 years! We have some catching up to do.:)

John Quirk said...

Thanks, Carol. No, I can't believe it's been 13 years. In some ways it feels like an age ago, and in others it feels like no time has passed at all. Weird.