Thursday, 23 July 2009

Searching for Gorry, son of Orry

Nope, it's not the follow up to Finding Nemo. I'm hoping someone out there has a copy of a book, which I need to research as part of the final draft of The Manx Giant.

A children's adventure story, Gorry, Son of Orry was written by Manxman Clucas Joughin and published in 1903 in London (by Jarrolds) and America. It's a story of smugglers, Redcoats and Manx nationalistic fervour, with a young hero descended from the legendary Viking King of Mann.

I'm told that Arthur Caley features in the story, as one of two giant heroes, and it would be cool to include a reference in the biography, along with the cover of the book. But I've had no luck finding a copy.

So, if you have one, or know of someone who might, please let me know - I will be forever in your gratitude. Leave a comment below, or drop me a line at johnquirkbooks(at)gmail.com

Now, on with the draft...

Cheers

5 comments:

Stewart said...

Hi there.

My mother has a copy of this book if you are still searching for it. Please contact me and I will put you in touch if required.

John Quirk said...

Hi Stewart

Yes, still looking for a copy. Checked your profile, but couldn't see any contact details, so hopefully you'll pick up this reply.

You can email me at johnquirkbooks(at)gmail.com

Cheers
John

Sue said...

I hope you find a copy of this story. Clucas Joughin in my great grandfather. Best of luck to you.

Patrick said...

I've been looking for this book too. My cousin in the book business in Hay-on-Wye has been keeping an eye peeled, and noticed this blog. Would you be willing to share the book somehow?

Pete Graves said...

Hi John, I don't know if you ever found a copy of Gorry son of Orry, but I was reading it to my son this evening. It belongs to my father. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't let it leave his posession, but you may be able to access it one way or another if still required. I'll drop you an email so you can let me know. Kind Regards, Pete