Wednesday, 18 November 2009

Mulled wine, mince pies and lots of tasty book sales

In two days' time, I should have my mits on the first few copies of The Manx Giant: The Amazing Story of Arthur Caley, as it's been christened. I've been in that weird pre-publication limbo for the last few weeks, during which you experience two emotioins - first, you can't quite believe that something that has been a huge part of your life is finally over; second, you look back at what you've done and can't seem to remember writing huge sections of it.

For those of you chomping at the bit to read the book - wife, mum and dad, maybe the odd sibling and aunt and uncle - there are two signings arranged, the first at The Lexicon on Saturday, December 5 (2.00pm-4.00pm) and the second on December 12 at Waterstones (1.00pm-3.00pm), a few doors along Strand Street in Douglas.

With town full of Christmas shoppers unsure of what to spend their hard-earned on, Mrs Q is pulling out all the stops for the Lexicon and putting on mulled wine and mince pies. Now, I'm not for one minute suggesting that the only people who are going to get their hands on wine and pies are those who put their hands in their pockets and buy the book. I'd never stoop to that sort of tactic. Mrs Q might, but not me. I'll just keep my head down and scribble away. Best just to nod and do as she says, so let that be a warning to you.

We might have the mulled wine and mince pies for Waterstones as well, just need to run it past the store. Not sure what their policy is on such things...

I'm also hoping to set something up at the Manx Museum before Christmas, but not sure what format that will be yet. Just so long as I don't have to spend too long down in that National Folk Gallery, where Caley's boots and the casts of his hand are on show. Always was a damn spooky place down there. All those mannequins, and not one of them Kim Cattrall.

One final note - if you are really stuck for something to do on December 5 and 12, and fancy stopping by to keep me company, don't all come down on the same day; spread yourselves out a little. Otherwise I'll be sat there like a spare part talking to myself.

Oh, and another final note - if you can't make it, and need to buy a load of copies as Christmas presents, the book should be available online from the Manx Heritage Foundation website in a week or so.

Cheers

4 comments:

Brian Clegg said...

Congratulations, John - it's a great feeling when you get your hands on the real thing after the long gestation.

I hope your events go well - I'm afraid I'm too far from the IOM to drop in, but I'm sure others will.

John Quirk said...

Thanks for the kind words, Brian. I'm looking forward to these signings, more so than for the first book - then, the subject was an unknown quantity, and it wasn't instantly attractive to passers-by. The events were a bit hit and miss, to be honest.
However, with what we have lined up for the Giant, I'm reasonably confident of a decent footfall by the desk, although you can never be sure in this game.
Cheers

Ady Hall said...

Congratulations, JQ,

I'll be popping down to the Lexicon for a sample of the mince pies - and a cheap price to pay for some of Emma's baking!

Did you manage to get that full size cut-out of the Manx Giant? That would be a wonderful aid for your marketing efforts - getting people off the streets and into the shop is half of the battle - and I'll be interested to hear of your other marketing efforts. Ha - you thought the hard work was finished with the last full stop? Yuk yuk - the real fun and games are only begining :)

Ady

John Quirk said...

Cheers, Ady. Yes, the giant cut-out (with helmet and plume, it will be over eight and a half feet tall...) is with printer now, should be ready for end of next week. Should look pretty impressive. The book shops have asked if they can have him in the stores for a few days before each signing, to help publicise, which is cool.
Once the Christmas rush has died down, we've got a few talks lined up Jan through Mar, which should help keep the profile up.
Cheers