Monday, 24 January 2011

A nip here, a tuck there

So here we are. I know what you’re thinking – he’s looking a little different. Maybe a haircut, or the loss of a few pounds around the midriff. Or has he been spreading cream on those wrinkles? If I’m honest, it’s all of the above, although don’t be telling Mrs Q about using her cream.

The real change, of course, comes with this blog. It’s nothing radical. Just a few tweaks here and there.

First up, the theme. When I started The Witching Hour a couple of years ago, it was to document my occasional up and several downs in writing, based around the fact that the main time I get to indulge my artistic bent is when other sane people are in bed, doing whatever people do in such contraptions. The blog grew from that, but as time went on it became clear that with other commitments (mainly to Nemesis Publishing), my posts were becoming somewhat sporadic. And what’s more, I doubted that anyone would be remotely interested in a daily account of my struggles to find some words and put them in the right order.

So I stepped back late last year and took stock. The result is this – Quirkipedia, a little corner attic of the internet where I can talk about everything to do with the written word, be it book reviews, interviews, publishing news, my own writing, works in progress, scripts…you name it. And you’re more than welcome to join in the fun. Just make sure you bring a bottle. As it happens, after putting writing on hold for the best part of 2010, I’ve promised myself that this year the focus will be back on writing. Yeah, I've heard that one before too.

For this blog makeover, I’ve revised the gizmos and gadgets on the right hand side of the page, added a few more blog links and authors and the like.I've a raft of books to review, sent to me by kindly publishers, and at this rate I'll need to take on a reviewer.

So enjoy the decor, put your feet up and stay a while. If you have any ideas for the blog, or for a particular post, drop me a line - johnquirkbooks(at)gmail.com


Cheers
JQ

2 comments:

Kate said...

Quirkipedia - love it!

John Quirk said...

Cheers, Kate - I really was scratching my head for a good while as to what to rename it - trying to get something that covered writing/reading/books/publishing was a little tricky. Hopefully Quirkipedia is catchy enough to catch on... :)