Wednesday, 13 April 2011

80,000 words. 80 days. Game on.

I know what you're thinking. He's been gone for ages, and he said he'd be around here more often. Godammit, he said he'd write.

It's been a busy start to the year - I say start, but we're nearly a third of the way through already - and the vow I made of focusing on me, of making 2011 the year I cut all the bullshit and dedicated myself to fiction, is lying curled up in a corner, kicked and beaten into submission. There's been lots on, in particular meetings and planning for Manx Litfest, and much behind-the-scenes shenannigans over at Nemesis, where we're working on an anthology by members of the Litopia Writers' Colony, as well as working with a few writers to develop their manuscripts towards publication. We've also just launched the Debut Novel Competition 2011, so if you're a writer reading this, get yourself over there and check it out.

But a couple of weeks ago, something stirred. I've been eyeing up two potential projects for the last six months or so, and dabbled at starts for each. In my mind, they are both strong projects, so much so that I'd reached stalemate - every time I opted for one, the other would stick it's nose in.

After some friendly advice (read boot up the ass), I had one of those rare moments where the trees miraculously part and you can finally see the wood. Inspired, I took the plunge and started working up ideas for the chosen project and rewrote the opening. It's brewing nicely now.

Earlier today I got a steer via Facebook to a blog - http://80kwords80days.blogspot.com/ - which, if you click and read, you'll see does exactly what it says on the tin. The goal - from May 1, over 80 days, you bang out 80,000 words. Job done.

So, that's the target. I know what you're thinking (part two) - he's said this kind of thing before. You're right, I have. But this time I mean business. I know, I've also said that before. Oh, well. You'll just have to take my word for it. Again. Come on, God loves a trier, at least that's what the old dear tells me.

I will endeavour to blog about this little experiment. Honest. I might even post a teaser about the plot. Maybe.

5 comments:

salazarbooks.com said...

Good luck. I did something similar - 85k in about 95 days. It's a good way to bang out a first draft and I did find that - even on the days I really didn't feel like it I could still write.

The important thing is to not look back - save that for revisions. This is the first draft and it can carry mistakes.

Go for it!

John Quirk said...

Thanks, Seth. I'm pretty pumped up for it. The idea I've been mulling over is pretty high concept, and I think it's a winner. Transforming that idea into something worth reading, well, that's another matter entirely...

But I need this focus. If not, everything else that's going on tends to take over.

gobbeg said...

Glad to see you found something to do with all your spare time, John. Think I'll have a go myself. I need the discipline.

John Quirk said...

You're right, Andy. I realised I needed something else to fill the time when I found myself with entire minutes free with nowt to do...

Go on, give it a go - it would be good to have as many co-conspirators as possible. Mutual support and all that.

gobbeg said...

Definitely in, John. Looks like I have a week or two to prep before having to get in the groove...