Sunday, 29 May 2011

Struggling to stay in the game

We're now 29 days into this 80,000 words in 80 days malarkey. Which, assuming my sums are correct, means my word count should be around the 29k mark. But it's not.

I've taken a 10-minute break to make a brew and write this post. The word count on the manuscript has just crawled over the 15k mark. So I'm writing a smidgen over 500 words a day, on average. I know. I'm not going to hit 80k. The good news is that I'm guessing the final word count for this script will come around 60k - so, with 51 days to go, I've got another 45k to write. Which is possible, right?

The bad news is that even 500 words a day is a struggle at times, given so many other demands on time. Not that I'm complaining; they are all of my own doing. But there are times when I check the word counts of other writers attemping this challenge and it's hard not to envy those who rack up several thousand words a day.

So onward I go. If I can hold the average at 500, I'll still have 40k words by the end. And that's 40k more than I would have had on May 1. You see, as with most things in life, it's all about perspective. Least that's what I'm telling myself.

6 comments:

andewallscametumblindown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's behind. But whatever I'll have written by mid-July will be more than I'd have written without this incentive. ~Miriam

John Quirk said...

Thanks for stopping by, Miriam. That's exactly the right kind of thinking. What kind of book are you working on?

andewallscametumblindown said...

A contemporary novel. What's yours?

Annalisa Crawford said...

I've just started following you solely on your use of the word 'malarky', which I also used in my blog recently!

John Quirk said...

It's YA, although aimed at slightly older ages, as it's a pretty dark adventure set in 19th century.

Annalisa - welcome. I'm not proud. I will accept followers for any reason whatsoever... and malarkey is as good a reason as any :)

LindaK said...

Slow and steady wins the race... Maybe not by 19 July, but you won't be the only one who doesn't make 80K by then!